Having a clear understanding and knowledge of the political infrastructures of the country one is residing in becomes very crucial in many careers. Moreover, some business executives also need to keep themselves updated regarding the political status in other countries, including the USA, China, Europe, Russia and others.
Political science is a discipline and a branch of knowledge that deals with the scientific study and analysis of the political activity and behaviour of a state or country. It not only deals with the systems of governance but also studies the economic stature, international relations and political theory or methodology.
The purpose of studying political science is to get a more in-depth insight into one of the major forces that govern the corporations and communities as well as the public in general. It is important to keep oneself updated regarding the latest practices of the government as it helps to analyse the methods that one needs to follow to carry out business operations efficiently.
Keeping a fair idea about the politics of several countries helps one to make better business decisions related to the investment and finances, the law and management, and so much more. Field of studies like economics, sociology, law, history, geography, anthropology, psychology and neurosciences also requires one to have enough knowledge about the political structures at the local, state, national as well as international levels.
Studying political science is beneficial for every business - from small companies and start-ups to large enterprises. What strategies should you plan out? How should you implement them? What if a plan fails? How to safeguard or improve the economic structure of your business? What are the possibilities to grow your business?
The answers to all such questions lie with the proper study of political science and comparative politics. Before taking each step, one should know about its circumstances and the benefits it might give in the long run. Political science also enhances the analytical thinking of an individual, thus enabling him or her to make wiser and more informed decisions.
Ranging from journalism to law, the study of political science helps to broaden the spectrum of career opportunities. Studying the political behaviour of a country allows students to develop their general skills, and aids them in choosing the right course of study, career options and employment in the future.
Apart from learning about the government and politics, students can also gain the necessary analytical communication proficiency and research skills. These are high-value skills that act as the major driving force of developing the learner's aptitudes and talents to be implemented in the fields of politics and governances, as well as other industries.
Being a versatile branch of social science study, political science opens wide the future scopes of the pursuer. While some students choose to take entry-level political jobs, others prefer jobs in education, business or law. Other options include media, government relations, public relations, international relations, or marketing.
Some students choose to go for the non-governmental sector to promote their policies and interests. Others prefer jobs related to analysing policy proposals, managing contracts, and writing and preparing position papers. As far as teaching jobs are concerned, students of political science can also develop their teaching skills in various academic branches like civics, social science, history, geography, political science, ethical studies, philosophy and the like, at both the higher secondary and graduation levels.
At the graduate level, students can conduct research and analyse various political documents. They can even choose to publish their research work and findings. It will build their self-confidence and the areas they need to improve based on public feedback. It further prepares them for management-level posts and job roles in government relations or politics. Students can, therefore, develop their skills and responsibilities as a senior manager, analyst or consultant.
Following is a guide to walk you through the various political skills through which you can find yourself a rewarding and fulfilling career after your graduation.
From doing research work, reading a variety of documents to participating in debates and building arguments, students pursuing a political science degree can gain strong analytical and other intrapersonal skills. Through internships and coursework, they acquire valuable capabilities that help them succeed in diverse fields. Let's have a look at them.
- Communication Skills - Political science involves writing research papers and participating in group projects, debates and in-class discussions. It helps students to improve both their verbal and written communication skills. They learn how to frame and put forward complex arguments and statements to have an impactful effect on the intended audience.
- Personal Ethics - Students of political science study ethics as an integral part of the political theory. They study documents that record the role played by ethics in politics. Learning about ethical rules enables them to apply them to the current political events. This, therefore, enhances their knowledge regarding the value of personal ethics.
- Research Skills - Various class assignments, projects, dissertations and other research works develop the research, analytical, persuasive and thinking power of the students. They learn how to conduct their research procedures with the help of several authoritative sources like scholarly books, articles, newspaper archives, court records, diaries and journals. Apart from these, other activities like performing surveys, taking interviews and doing fieldwork can also help a great deal in improving the research skills of the degree-pursuer.
- Analytical Skills - Basing one's research work through the above-mentioned sources increases the persuasive and analytical skills of the students. They analyse these documents thoroughly to gain valuable insights into the methods and means one might apply to put up a convincing and winning argument. Reading numerous reports and in-class discussions also strengthen the analytical skills of the students.
- Writing Skills - Many fields and industries require writing skills, and a political science degree enhances the students' writing abilities through research-based papers, thesis, and other assignments. Some political science classes also involve writing essays or other articles. These academic structures help develop the persuasive writing skills that largely benefit students in various business sectors.
So while you are pursuing a degree in political science, it is advisable to consider and plan out your career goals and then prepare yourself for the job market. A little research about the career options associated with political science studies can help you visualise your future more effectively.