Our world is rich and diverse with people from all cultures. We can never all be the same; as such, there is a need to find a way to connect with others. Hence, the complexity of our world demands professionals skilled in international relations; this exciting field of study offers a comprehensive perspective on issues that defined national boundaries. We need to have people with knowledge of our difference, who can create cohesion and understanding. In a world defined by a turbulent history of wars and tyranny, peace is paramount to the growth and development of humanity.
Politics is one of the pillars of modern society. It designs, defines, and shapes a culture. In other words, our world runs on belief in political powers. That is why a Politician will say anything, and their followers will follow without asking any questions. As such, we have seen many people misled into wrong directions because they did not have a mind to argue with those who can move crowds. And this kind of thing is common, especially in developing countries where political systems are not well established. Because of this, many nations find it hard to work together because they have sealed all channels for international relationships. Warring nations do so because they have different approaches and beliefs concerning specific ideas, in most cases, significant issues like economic, social, historical, and politics.
Countries fight to take control of specific resources so that they are seen as the top producers or, in other cases, superior. Other aspects of such arguments arise from technological and religious prejudices. A nation seen as more advanced is described by how technologically advanced they are, not to mention democratic features. However, each country has a different setting in these issues, more so on the sources of their economy, and religious orientation. We cannot all be the same. It is these diversities that make use of humanity.
The study and practice of international relations are vital in bringing a balance to the world. It is interdisciplinary, mixing economics, history, and political science. Selected topics such as human rights, global poverty, the environment, globalization, security, ethics, and political temperatures are keenly examined, creating a somehow unified world. Therefore, studying IR as a major is a key to bringing and holding peace in modern society.
There is, however, no denying that the 21st-century international relations are quite complicated. Consider exceptional economic integration, imminent threats to peace and security, global focus on human rights as well as protection of the environment, for instance. They all feature under IR, meaning the subject must take into account addressing, anticipating, and solving issues within public policies. This may not be as easy as it sounds where, as mentioned above, different aspects of life different humanity, and the environment at large.
Also known as foreign affairs, international relations is a critical subject in modern society. It serves a broad purpose, seeking to understand, and ultimately, hole the world peace through the study of:
- The origin of war and keeping the peace
- The nature of and practice of authority in the global system
- The changing characteristics of nations and non-state parties who take part in global decision-makers.
Hence, there is a need for humanity to understand itself and learn from past mistakes and successes. For instance, some institutions may focus on the psychological and social-psychology thinking or foreign policymakers, whereas others may look at the processes that lead to the goals and behaviors of states. In other words, international studies areas depend on the purposes and focus of the organization.
Due to the increasing interconnectivity of the world through technology, international relations seem to have taken a new significance. Even so, it is not a new concept. There is evidence of treaties established between the earliest nations and kingdoms in history, which ultimately served the purpose of international relations. Today, the study and practice of the subject are even more valuable for many reasons. Some of them include:
- Promotion of successful trade policies between nations. There is a need for governments to work together for economic growth. Today, no country has all the resources in one place. They must import raw materials and export their products, which cannot happen without good relations.
- Encouraging business-related travels, tourism, and immigration activities. Today, entrepreneurs run the world. They need to access open channels to create more possibilities. With fewer employment opportunities and rising economic burdens, an open door for people to enhance their lives is critical to global development.
- The corporation between nations. Nations can pool resources, share information, and do other activities to resolve issues that go beyond a specific state or region. Emerging global issues such as pandemics, terrorism, environment, and hunger require combined efforts to fight.
- Human culture advancement. Cultural exchanges, diplomacy, and policy development are vital in withholding global human culture.
Also, there is a wide array of settings in which international relations play a vital role. They include:
- Humanitarian organizations like Action Against Hunger, Oxfam International, and WPO.
- Government agencies such as Departments of, State, Homeland Security, and Commerce.
- International corporations, such as General Electric and Toyota.
- Media outlets; BBC, Washington Post, and many others.
- Intergovernmental Organizations like Amnesty International and Freedom House
- Research center/ Think tanks like Brooking Institution, Center for International Policy, and Council on Foreign Relations.
There is no denying that world peace is vital in many aspects of human existence. Contemporary society, more than ever, require working in perfect harmony. It may not be easy, but through the study and practice of international relations, sooner or later, we will have a more functional society. Even though it is an offshoot of political science, it is particularly in-depth. The global community keeps evolving and expanding through different dimensions. Hence, international relations will develop and grow in the same magnitude. Modern society needs to learn co-existence. We may have cultural and religious diversity, but that should not be the cause of human boundaries.